Thursday, May 18, 2017

Thinking about Our Thoughts – Pt. 3

Negative thoughts
The apostle Paul, in his letter to the Church at Philippi, instructs its members to focus their thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy Philippians 4:8.. This says that we can control what we think about. The WORD of GOD is one piece of our Spiritual Armor that we can “put on” for thought control, but we must know with what it says, if we are to get the maximum benefit.

Know what GOD’s WORD says about you!
Daily Bible study, in particular Scripture verses that focus on the promises of GO, can be a great help in overcoming negative thinking. These verses teach us who GOD is and how He relates to His people – we learn the person and character of GOD; how much GOD values us; and how relentless GOD’s love has been for His chosen people, throughout the generations.

The idea is to memorize specific passages and use them to replace our negative thoughts. By doing so, we encourage ourselves to do more and boost our faith and confidence. With this arsenal at our fingertips, we are actively involved in changing our thinking.

Immediately our thoughts drift in the wrong direction (and they will…) we take control and redirect them to thinking what is positive and in line with GOD’s WORD. We reject the false and declare what is true of us as beloved children of GOD:

I am a “bad person and a hopeless failures”
  • I am a child of GOD; I may trip up, but I will get up again. Proverbs 24:16
  • The LORD delights in every detail of my life. I stumble sometimes but I will never fall because the LORD is holding on to my hand. Psalm 37:23-24
  • I know I promised I wouldn't lose my temper but in a heated moment, I did. I hate that I did it but I am so grateful for JESUS who will give me strength to do better next time. Romans 7:14-25
  • GOD loves me and I love Him and He does not condemn me. He forgives me and the power of His Spirit is at work in me to free me from the power of all my sin forever. Romans 1:1-2
  • I can depend on GOD’s grace to cover my weakness and His power causes me to rise and endure. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10
  • I have hope in GOD who is forever faithful; I rely on His mercy every day. Lamentations 3:22-23
  • I refuse to look back at the past; I will only look forward to what GOD promised. Through JESUS I am confident I can reach the goal GOD promised. I trust His word. Philippians 3: 13-14

I am “stupid and timid, unable to measure-up” –
  • I can do anything through Christ who is my LORD and Savior. Philippians 4:13
  • I have total confidence in my abilities because GOD himself trains me for every task, makes me sure-footed, and gives me His strength to succeed. Psalm 18
  • GOD took His time creating me and put everything I would need for success in me; and He is always with me and thinks great thoughts about me all the time. Psalm 139:14-18
  • I am made in GOD’s image and He said that is a very good thing – I must believe my Creator. Genesis 1:27
  • With GOD’s spirit of confidence and power in me I can be intelligent, focused and disciplined – I am neither stupid nor fearful. 2 Timothy: 1:7
  • GOD will give me wisdom as I need it, and He will not condemn me for asking. James 1:5
  • With GOD nothing is impossible for me. For no word from God will ever fail. Luke 1:37
  • I am precious in GOD’s sight; He loves and values me. Isaiah 43:4
Even as we sin on a daily basis, make mistakes that sometimes seem beyond repair and fall away from GOD’s plan for our lives, we do not fall away from His promises. In all His WORD, God reaches out to us as beloved and precious children. “It is through faith that all of you are God's children in union with Christ Jesus” Galatians 3:26

GOD never stops loving us; His thoughts towards us are precious and too many to be numbered. (Psalm 139:17) Our Father sees us as fully capable beings, because He made us that way. By faith we must accept ourselves as our Creator does who knows His creation best of all.

With prayer and thanksgiving, we must ask GOD to help us to change our focus to thoughts of His many blessings and “put off” negative thoughts. The Holy Spirit lives in every child of GOD and will be faithful to help the repentant to overcome habits of negative thinking,
 “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8.

Among God’s promises to His children is overwhelming victory through Christ, who loved us.  Romans 8:37.

Positive thoughts create positive things in our lives, and this is GOD’s will for His children.

Prayer and Thanksgiving: Holy and Sovereign LORD, our good, good Father WHOSE love for us is eternal and boundless. We thank you for eternal care and concern; we thank YOU that despite our choosing to embrace negative and unproductive thoughts that grieve YOUR HOLY SPIRIT, YOU remain patient and long suffering. Father, help us to keep our minds and in our hearts focused on the fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control – for with these at work in our lives, we ought never to think of ourselves or any aspect of our lives negatively. YOU have given us all that we need to love YOU and enjoy YOU forever, which is our chief end on this earth. Help us to study YOUR WORD to know YOUR will and teach us to pray always for the strength to do YOUR will. To YOU belong all honor, dominion and power forever and ever.  We pray and ask all things in the matchless Name of JESUS CHRIST our LORD. Amen!

Always by God’s Word and prayer,

Cecile

No comments:

Post a Comment