Sunday, April 15, 2018

When a Barrier Becomes a Blessing



A BAD thing happened!

For months I tried to plan a lunch date with an old friend and finally we had a date set for a Friday at 12:30. We both were looking forward to getting together. 

But it wasn't to be!

At noon on “D” day I left the house for the restaurant with 15 minutes of extra drive time. It was not unheard of to have a traffic delay in the middle of the day for road repair, etc. and I didn’t want to be late.

 As I walked to where I park my car in the community lot, I saw from a distance that something was very out of place. A huge rock sat where the rear wheel on the driver’s side of my car should have been. This improvised car-jack had obviously been used to lift the car off the ground and remove the wheel. Stolen!

My first reaction was shock and disbelief. Then I was angry. I had looked forward to this day for so long and it was not going to be.

Lunch was unceremoniously cancelled!

First I broke the news to my friend! Then I spent the afternoon making telephone calls to the local police and the car insurance and tow truck companies. It took me hours to prove that I was the victim of a crime but ten minutes or less for the thief to do the crime!  

Eventually I reached all the right people and got the approvals for repairs and a rental.  

The events I describe above in no way resemble what I had in mind when I got out of bed that Friday morning.

But here’s what I want to focus on as a child of GOD—that day’s events were upsetting but the day was not wasted!

A GOD thing came out of it!

When I got over the initial shock of the theft and my legs would carry me again, I went back into the house, fell to my knees and cried. I poured all of my frustration out to GOD. I felt so wronged!  My property was taken from me, as well as the longed for time with my friend.

GOD let me wail and carry on, for a bit. Then He quieted me down and gave me peace to properly pray His will.

I prayed for strength and favor to do all that I needed to do.

I prayed for patience and to remain calm during the long wait for the local police to respond; and the tow truck to show up; and the insurance people to do what they do.

I prayed silently as the “good Samaritan” who came to my aid struggled to get the spare tire on the car. He was helping me so I could drive to the repair shop and not wait in the heat for the long-promised tow truck that hadn’t arrived.

When we realized that the nuts to hold the tire in place were on the stolen wheel, I prayed for the misguided and lost soul who was the cause of these problems. I prayed that GOD would save him so he becomes a giver to society not a taker, and have a life that’s whole and productive.

My plan for that day was to eat a meal and chat with a friend. GOD’s plan for me that day was to spend quality time in fellowship with Him!

I talked to GOD more that day than I would on any regular day and I could feel His presence with me the entire time.

By 5:00 pm I was settled with a rental car and on my way home. I was hungry and tired, but above all, I was at peace. All the way home I thanked GOD for His grace and mercy. At the end of the day I felt closer to GOD than I had for a long time and wanted only to praise and worship Him.

The facts of the day hadn’t changed. The wheel was lost as was the long awaited lunch date. But my joy was intact!

The take away here is, regardless of the troubles that come our way, we gain much more than we lose when we come under our Father’s care.

The fact that the Sovereign GOD of the universe longs to be with us and care for us make us winners every time!

 ”He is our GOD. We are the people He watches over, the flock under His care.”  Psalm 95:7

Prayer and Thanksgiving: Our Father Who reigns in Heaven, praise be to your Holy Name! Thank YOU for being our Shepherd. In YOUR tender care we flourish even when our situations seem grim. YOU comfort us when and replace our worry and anxiety with a beautiful crown of peace and YOU cause our cup to run over with joy. We are learn to trust YOU more with every experience, to not rely on our own feeble understanding, to allow YOU to guide our paths. We are YOUR people and the sheep of YOUR pasture. All power and all glory we give unto YOU for ever and ever. We pray and ask all things in the precious Name of Jesus Christ our LORD. Amen!

Always by God’s Word and prayer,

Cecile

No comments:

Post a Comment