Monday, January 30, 2017

For Those Whose Disobedience Is Forgiven – On Psalm 32


joy of forgiveness, misery of sin, judgement of the sinner, protection for the saint
Psalm 32 is a wonderfully encouraging and uplifting testimony of how a life is transformed for the better after sin is confessed and forgiven, as well as a caution to the unbeliever who continues to live in sin.

The Psalmist David opens his account on an exuberant note – he is unrestrained in his expressions of joy and delight at being a pardoned sinner – O, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty! Psalm 32:1-2

David then describes how miserable he was while he lived under the guilt of unconfessed sin and the exhilaration he feels now that he has confessed his sin to God and received His forgiveness –
When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.”  And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone. Psalm 32:3-5

Children of God share David’s experience – we know the peace that came with the assurance of our forgiven sins through Christ Jesus. Now we want the people in our lives to know that same joy and freedom and David also feels the same. In these verses he encourages others to pray to be removed from the floodwaters of God’s judgement and placed instead under God’s merciful protection – Therefore, let all the godly pray to you while there is still time, that they may not drown in the floodwaters of judgment.  For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory. Psalm 32:6-7

Our acceptance of God’s grace placed us automatically under His protection and gave the Father control over our lives to do for us exactly what He now promises to do for David – I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you… Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.” Psalm 32:8-9

David ends Psalm 32 with a word of caution to unbelievers and encouragement and consolation for the children of God – Many sorrows come to the wicked, but unfailing love surrounds those who trust the Lord. So rejoice in the Lord and be glad, all you who obey him! Shout for joy, all you whose hearts are pure! Psalm 32:10-11 Continuing a life of sin will end in sorrow; choosing to live under the care and protection of God brings the most joy! 

Psalm 32 speaks honestly to both positions. Enjoy!

Prayer and ThanksgivingHoly Father, most Wise God and Counselor, God of our salvation. We thank you Father that you are also a God of second chances; you hear our cries of repentance and confessions and forgive us. Like the Psalmist David we rejoice in and because of your grace and your mercy! We trust you to guide us along the best pathways of life, advise us as we make life decisions and watch over us daily. We believe the plans you have for us are for our welfare and not for calamity, to give us a future and a hope. Father we offer a special prayer for the people within our sphere of influence that are still living in the darkness of sin and we ask for mercy on their behalf; give us patience in counseling and direct us in how best to reach them. Help us to continue to show love, since it was your love that drew us to repentance, remind us that no one is beyond your reach. Thank you that you lead us always in truth, teach us your way. To you Abba Father belong all dominion and power for ever and ever. We pray and ask all things in the Name of Jesus. Amen.

Always by God’s Word and prayer,


Cecile

No comments:

Post a Comment